Monday, October 24, 2011

Drinking Pop, Peanut Butter and Mayo

Dad, take a look at these pictures:




Where do you think I'm going with this post?  If you said, "Peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwiches and pop as a bribe to make two little kids take naps,"  you are correct! 

I think it's funny that some of my favorite memories of growing up are when you were home with us on the weekends and Mom was working at the hospital, because Paul and I always got peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwiches and pop if we took a nap.  This was such a treat to the two little munchkins who you fathered.  I have vivid memories of walking down the stairs after naps and you making us this delicious treat.  The memories were so strong growing up that I just assumed that Mom must have worked every weekend because that's all I can remember.  Being home with Dad, eating those sandwiches and drinking pop.  I just don't remember Mom home much on the weekends (no offense, Mom) because this was such a big deal for me.  It's funny though, isn't it, that evidently Mom didn't work every weekend, she actually worked very little, but this treat of yours made such a big impact  on me that it pretty much beats out every other memory from weekends at home when I was very small. 

Who would have thought that peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwiches and a bottle of pop, which really was just a bribe on your end to get yourself some peace and quiet for a few hours, would turn into one of the best memories of my early childhood?   As I write this, I'm currently in the process of bribing Brady into taking a nap because he's home sick from school.  Only this time I'm using ice cream and not your secret peanut butter and mayonnaise and pop bribe, that bribe's one I'd like to keep as our little thing.

Love you, Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment